Water – Water Filtration Plant
Our plant provides 22 MGD (million gallons/day).
Located at 33370 Lake Road, the original Avon Lake Water Filtration Plant (WFP) was built in 1926 to serve the City of Avon Lake with a maximum capacity of 2 million gallons per day (MGD).
Since the original plant was constructed, the existing service area has extended beyond Avon Lake city limits and now includes sales of bulk water to a number of communities including Avon, Village of Sheffield, Sheffield Lake, North Ridgeville, Medina and the County of Medina. The plant also supplies water to the Rural Lorain County Water Authority (RLCWA), which serves areas of rural Lorain County and the Villages of LaGrange, Grafton, Kipton and Spencer. Customers outside of the City of Avon Lake consume approximately 85% of the total water produced at the WFP.
Water Quality Research and Analysis
The water plant laboratory staff performs 150 tests every day and over 50,000 each year to ensure you receive high quality drinking water. Operators perform bi-hourly analysis for turbidity, chlorine residual and pH for several parts within the treatment process, along with tap water in a small lab provided for this purpose. The main laboratory and personnel are certified in wet chemistry, bacteria, and metals. Here, required analyses are performed or facilitated for the Avon Lake Water Reclamation Facility (WRF), RLCWA, Avon, Sheffield Lake, the Village of Sheffield, LaGrange and Spencer.